Monday, September 21, 2015

Annecy et la Genève

This weekend we went to Annecy, France, and Geneva, Switzerland! Annecy was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to. It’s a small, Germanic town on the border of Switzerland and France. It was very chilly; I needed to wear layers and it was too cold for my Tevas. The town reminded me of Colorado; it was very sporty, people were running, biking, and rollerblading all over town. The town surrounds a huge lake- Lac d’Annecy- and it was so beautiful with the crystal clear water and the French Alps in the backdrop.



DAY 1:

The first day we got there, Friday, we went paragliding! I can’t believe we did that. We did tandem paragliding, so I drove up this huge mountain in a tiny bus and jumped off a mountain with a man named Eddy strapped to my back. We sailed around the mountain, dipped in and out of the trees, and sailed over the lake. It was so incredible and surreal. I couldn’t believe it. At the end, we even did some tricks when I thought my head was going to explode. After paragliding, we were so exhausted even though we didn’t do anything. We went back, relaxed, and went to a cheese shop, bakery, and Monoprix for a picnic in the park. We had delicious rosé and laughed until our stomachs hurt. After, we walked around the lake for awhile as the sun set, then went to a bar called “Beer O’Clock”, where you can pour your own craft beers.



DAY 2:

The second day, Saturday, we got up early to take the bus to Geneva. For some reason, we got the bus ride for free, and we loved the scenic 2-hour ride. When we got there, however, it was very underwhelming. It’s around a giant lake, Lake Geneva, with the famous Jet d’Eau and a few statues here and there, and it’s all very pretty. But the city is made for billionaires. We passed Céline, Prada, Gucci, Rolex, Louis Vuitton. There were barely any stores even somewhat in our price range. So, we meandered about until lunchtime, when we went to a recommended fondue place. Besides the fact that I had thick, creamy dressing literally dumped on my salad, we asked for fondue for 6 people and were charged 150 SWISS FRANCS! Which is 150 dollars for melted cheese. We laughed out loud and said no. We ended up ordering two people’s worth and it was more than enough. It was also incredible. After our cheese, and seeing some naked old women swimming in the lake, we walked to the United Nations, which was cool to see but closed. We also saw UNHCR, Unicef, the Red Cross, and basically every single other organization. We wanted a water or a coffee after, but small coffees at Starbucks were 8 dollars. Water, 5 dollars. We ended up getting some (admittedly great) Swiss chocolate and returning back to our love, Annecy. We got a FABULOUS dinner of create-your-own stir fry, and then we went back to the beer bar, where a woman held a kitten next to us and fed it sausage. Ah, the French.



DAY 3:

On Sunday, I woke up early to go to the markets to get some fruit. I ended up getting some delicious spice bread, pain d’épices, along with figs, the best apples I’ve ever had, and some fresh yoghurts. After the markets, we rollerbladed along the lake, which was so beautiful and fun. After that, we walked around and got some souvenirs before cleaning up and going home.




We loved Annecy, and I think it’s going to be hard for other places to measure up.



No comments :

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi! I blog at Brunch and Bijoux. Celebrating les belles petites choses in life.
Powered by Blogger.